"Live-Shot" and "Pre-filmed" Drama Filter

This discussion has been closed.

I Suggest we add a Filter to browse drama depending on the way they were shot : "Live-Shot" or "Pre-filmed." 

We didn't need that feature before because most drama were the result of live-shooting, but these past few years we saw lots of "pre-filmed" dramas being produced, so such a feature could be useful. 

WHY ? 

Kdrama as mainly the result of "Live-Shooting" also known as "Semi-Live Shooting". It means that while the drama is airing in the broadcasting stations and you can start watching it...well...they're not done filming it yet, and they are only one or maybe two episode ahead. 

Recently, we also have a rise of "Pre-shot" "Pre-filmed" "Pre-produced" Dramas, which, like in some other countries like the UK, means that the entire drama is done before the first episode even aired. 

Some people like Semi-Live dramas, because it gives you a sense of interactions with the actors, especially if you live in Korea or speak korean and you can chat with actors or other fan online. Also, it gives out the impression that you are living the story at the same time. AND, there is always a possibility that the writer might change the ending if they read that all the fan want this or that ending. The downside is that the actors are sometimes very tired by the process and don't have the time to adjust to the changes their characters go through. Many times, they simply have no idea what's going on, and the result can be the decrease of the quality. 

Other people like the idea of watching a pre-produced drama, because it means that the entire thing is shot beforehand, which gives out a hope of better quality and originality, because the writer won't be pressured to change the story to please the audience. The downside is that you loose that impression of interaction with the actors, and that you can end up with extra-spoilerish trailer (cf Scarlet Heart : Goryeo.)

It's like how people like the read stories that are published chapter  by chapter, and how others prefer to read books that are published as a whole. 

So, knowing how the drama was made could help you decide wheither or not you want to watch it. 

Useful links : 

Eat Your Kimchi : Issues with the Korean Drama Industry

The Rise of Pre Produced Dramas

DramaFever Pre-filmed vs Live Shoot

9votes
Hessa Volunteer Staff
I agree to that. I already have made a list of Korean pre-produced dramas a few months ago to track it. We should have an option if we are not sure about whether it was "Live-Shot" or "Pre-filmed".
http://mydramalist.com/discussions/korean-dramas-m...
Thanks. I'll check your list, because I really like the idea of pre-produced dramas. 
Hessa Volunteer Staff

already done. Use the tags.

Sleepninja locked this sep 30, 2017 04:37