Heyo~ At the moment, and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but the search engine doesn't seem to care if a title's tag is scored with high or low relevancy. If anyone doesn't know what I'm talking about in terms of "relevancy rating", go to any drama page and click on "vote or add tags." 

WHAT I AM PROPOSING: SPECIFICALLY if you're filtering your search with a tag, the "Top Ranked" formula should be biased towards titles that have a higher relevancy rating to that tag.

Example 1: [Search Engine Filters: Top Ranked + Tag]:

Let's say I filter with LGBTQ+.  The Top Ranked title should not be Move to Heaven which has a negative LGBTQ+ relevancy rating (-12%). It also shouldn't be Imawa no Kuni no Alice, which has a 44% LGBTQ+ relevancy rating. Titles that have a high LGBTQ+ relevancy rating should rank higher on Top Ranked when filtering for a specific tag. So, titles like A Tale of a Thousand Stars (80% relevancy), Bad Buddy (84% relevancy), I Told Sunset About You (98% relevancy), etc. should be ranked higher in the Top Ranked for the LGBTQ+ category. 

Current ranking excluding titles I didn't mention: 

• Move to Heaven (score 9.2 relevancy -12%)
  • Imawa no Kuni no Alice (score 8.8 relevancy 44%)
  • A Tale of a Thousand Stars (score 8.6 relevancy 80%)
  • Bad Buddy (score 8.5 relevancy 84%)
  • I Told Sunset About You (score 8.3 relevancy 98%)

The way I imagine it working is, there are increments of relevancy ratings that rank higher than others. So an 80% relevancy 8+ rated drama would rank higher than a 60% relevancy 9+ rated drama. All rankings first weigh against relevancy to the filtered tag before ranking by the normal ranked formula. 

Example weighted tiers:

• 80+ relevancy
  • 60-79 relevancy
  • 40-59 relevancy
  • <40 relevancy
  • <0 relevancy would not be included on the list

New Ranking excluding titles I didn't mention: 

• A Tale of a Thousand Stars (score 8.6)
  • Bad Buddy (score 8.5)
  • I Told Sunset About You (score 8.3)
  • Imawa Kuni no Alice (score 8.8)

At the moment, it seems like the Top Ranked per tag filter only ranks according to whether or not a tag is included. Again, if the tag "LGBTQ+" is -12% relevant to a drama title, then it should not be ranked in that category, so Move to Heaven would no longer be ranked in the category of LGBTQ+.

Example 2: [Search Engine Filters: Top Ranked + Tag + Tag]

If a user searches for multiple tags, then the relevancy rating should look for titles that have the highest combined relevancy rating. For example, let's say a user filters for the tags "Friendship" and "War." In our example, Nirvana in Fire has a combined relevancy rating of 60 (44 War + 16 Friendship), so it would be ranked in the 60-70% relevancy tier. This would also be true for Eternal Love with a score of 60 (War 20 + Friendship 60). Meanwhile, a show like My Country: The New Age would be ranked higher than both of those shows with a relevancy rating of 160 (War 65 + Friendship 95). However, the current ranking (excluding other titles) is:

• Nirvana in Fire (Score 9.1 and 60 relevance)
  • Eternal Love (Score 8.9 and 60 relevance)
  • My Country: The New Age (Score 8.4 and 160 relevance)

So, only including the three examples listed above, while filtering for the tags "War" and "Friendship," the new Top Ranked would be as follows:

• My Country: The New Age (Score 8.4)
  • Nirvana in Fire (Score 9.1)
  • Eternal Love (Score 8.9)

Example 3: [Search Engine Filters: Relevancy + Tag + Tag]

There is also the Relevancy filter, which is different from the Top Ranked filter. The Relevancy filter is also differnt from the system I suggested above. The way I reimagine the Relevancy filter (and how it would work differently from the Top Ranked + Tag filter) is that it would rank purely on relevancy and not on score. Tiebreakers could be made via who ranks higher on the combined tag rating AND NOT by their score. So, for example, Nirvana in Fire would have an average tag rating for War and Friendship of 30 (=(44+16)/2). Meanwhile, Eternal Love has an average tag rating of 40 (=(20+60)/2).

So for the following dramas, the search results would be: 

• My Country: The New Age (Score 8.4)
  • Eternal Love (Score 8.9)
  • Nirvana in Fire (Score 9.1)

Notice how Eternal Love ranks higher here under [Relevancy + Tag + Tag], but under the filters [Top Ranked + Tag + Tag] it ranks lower. It might have worked like this in the past, I can't remember. But just in case, I hope this happens!

13votes

seconded this, its frustrating to get things in the search results that aren't really all that related to the tag you are looking for. 

I agree with this. It makes it harder to find new dramas when it's the same ones showing up no matter the tags

Yall gotta vote for it though