Degrassi: The Next Generation (renamed Degrassi from the tenth season) is a Canadian teen drama television series set in the Degrassi universe, which was created by Linda Schuyler and Kit Hood in 1979. Degrassi is the fourth fictional series in the Degrassi franchise, and follows The Kids of Degrassi Street, Degrassi Junior High, and Degrassi High. Like its predecessors, Degrassi: The Next Generation follows an ensemble cast of students at Degrassi Community School who face various challenges, such as poor self image, peer pressure, child abuse, sexual identity, gang violence, self-injury, teenage pregnancy, drug abuse, death, and a number of other issues. The series was created by Linda Schuyler and Yan Moore, and is produced by Epitome Pictures in association with CTV. The current executive producers are Schuyler, her husband Stephen Stohn and Brendon Yorke. The series is filmed at Epitome's studios in Toronto, Ontario, rather than on the real De Grassi Street from which the franchise takes its name.

The series premiered on CTV on October 14, 2001. In 2010, during the ninth season, the series moved to CTV's youth-oriented sister channel, MuchMusic, and the tenth season marked a change in production style which saw the series become a telenovela, a daily soap opera. The first half of season 12 is airing 20 episodes in its first five weeks, and premiered on July 16, 2012. 285 episodes have aired as of July 26, 2012, and the twelfth season is in continued production. The series has been syndicated on cable television, and episodes are available on DVD and in new media download formats from Puretracks, the iTunes Store, and the Xbox Live Marketplace. Internationally, Degrassi: The Next Generation has been highly successful in the US, where it is broadcasted on channels such as TeenNick, MTV, and ABC Family, as well as being broadcasted in 140 countries.

Season 1 Trailer:

Season 12 Trailer:

Season 12 premiered on July 16, 2012. Who else watches this show or has seen some of the seasons?

I love this show! So many great characters in it. I need to continue watching it. XD
Sleepninja wrote: I love this show! So many great characters in it. I need to continue watching it. XD

Me too! And there are! :D Plus I learned later on that Aubrey Graham turned into Rapper Drake and the actress that plays Elena in The Vampire Diaries was also on here for a while - and others. I'm currently going through a Degrassi Spree and I just love that it's more realistic than a lot of other teen shows. I think that's what drew me to it in the first place haha. It focuses on real life issues and covers so many topics. And you wind up loving the characters the more you watch (:
Crazy4You wrote: Me too! And there are! :D Plus I learned later on that Aubrey Graham turned into Rapper Drake and the actress that plays Elena in The Vampire Diaries was also on here for a while - and others. I'm currently going through a Degrassi Spree and I just love that it's more realistic than a lot of other teen shows. I think that's what drew me to it in the first place haha. It focuses on real life issues and covers so many topics. And you wind up loving the characters the more you watch (:

*nods* I'm glad that their careers are so successful.

Yeah, it's definitely one of those shows that isn't afraid to hit the hard issues and show them for what they are rather than glorifying them. Other shows glorify those issues and end up convincing kids to make those kind of mistakes.
I watched Degrassi the original and Next Gen for a long time. I was all into Emma and Sean. LOL I loved when Kevin Smith did some episodes a few years back. That was cool. I haven't watched for a long time now though.
I love this show :). I used to watch it all the time. I really need to get caught up on the last couple seasons.
Sleepninja wrote: *nods* I'm glad that their careers are so successful.

Yeah, it's definitely one of those shows that isn't afraid to hit the hard issues and show them for what they are rather than glorifying them. Other shows glorify those issues and end up convincing kids to make those kind of mistakes.

Me too (:

I agree, this show delves into the problems. Shows both the good side and the bad side. And they take on all sorts of topics, too.

The difference between this show and others, too, is how you see them grow up. It starts out with 7th and 8th graders and then it moves you through their lives and the hardships they have to overcome and deal with. It lets you get to really know the characters, and as more characters get added you get to know them as well. Yes, in other shows you also get to see the actors grow up, but what about the characters themselves? Nowadays when it comes to teen shows I don't feel they do a good job with it when they make the approach to real life issues like Degrassi does.

And I'm tired so I'm rambling and I'm not even sure if what I wrote makes any sense. Haha
Jeaniessi wrote: I watched Degrassi the original and Next Gen for a long time. I was all into Emma and Sean. LOL I loved when Kevin Smith did some episodes a few years back. That was cool. I haven't watched for a long time now though.

Haha I'm starting fresh from the beginning but I did like Emma with Sean (:

ali101234 wrote: I love this show :). I used to watch it all the time. I really need to get caught up on the last couple seasons.

I started watching it around the 9th or 10th season I think and I got really into it for a while, caught a lot of the reruns of the older seasons, too. I can send you a link to where I'm watching it if you feel like watching any of the seasons (up to 11) (:
The latest episodes of the season they have on TeenNick.
Crazy4You wrote: Me too (:

I agree, this show delves into the problems. Shows both the good side and the bad side. And they take on all sorts of topics, too.

The difference between this show and others, too, is how you see them grow up. It starts out with 7th and 8th graders and then it moves you through their lives and the hardships they have to overcome and deal with. It lets you get to really know the characters, and as more characters get added you get to know them as well. Yes, in other shows you also get to see the actors grow up, but what about the characters themselves? Nowadays when it comes to teen shows I don't feel they do a good job with it when they make the approach to real life issues like Degrassi does.

And I'm tired so I'm rambling and I'm not even sure if what I wrote makes any sense. Haha

lol It makes complete sense to me. I hate that so many shows nowadays get lazy and don't want to put that much effort into character growth for their younger characters. They just make the character leave or kill them off rather than show them progress and mature. They'll be there for a season or two and then vanish.
I'm on vacation so I'm barely active on threads these days, but I finally found some Wifi at this cafe & see this Degrassi thing!
Fun tidbit: the show is filmed in my city so it's pretty easy to casually bump into these ppl XD

I for one, met Jamie Johnston (Peter) when he performed this play at my school a few years ago (he attended a performing arts skl). SUPER friendly. He stayed behind after the show to talk to fans and even gave hugs haha he was such a cutie.
I've also casually seen Adamo Ruggiero (Marco) at the mall shopping...he's a shy type, but greets you happily if you go up and say hi.

& Aubrey/Drake (Jimmy) was spotted countless times also at the mall eating at Moxie's. He's more popular than the rest so it's pretty hard to go up to him with all his bodyguards and what not.

ohgoodness this show is like my childhood haha XP
My absolute favourite characters were Ellie & Craig ^__^ I was just WAITINGGGG endlessly for them to somewhat get together, but only to get that semi-open ending with their love line in the LA special....sigh~

I'm not sure how it's like in other countries, but after season 9, it kind of lost it's steam...it's still loved pretty well here in Canada, but not to the enormous amount like the previous early days.
I used to watch Degrassi religiously but kinda stopped watching after Spinner and Emma got married. I didn't watch the past to two seasons because it was so hard to keep up with so many new characters but got back to watch after seeing marathons that aired before the currently airing season started.
It's still going strong here in the U.S. :)
Crazy4You wrote: Haha I'm starting fresh from the beginning but I did like Emma with Sean (:

I started watching it around the 9th or 10th season I think and I got really into it for a while, caught a lot of the reruns of the older seasons, too. I can send you a link to where I'm watching it if you feel like watching any of the seasons (up to 11) (:
The latest episodes of the season they have on TeenNick.

I think I started watching around season 7. Yeah I used to watch on TeenNick Before my cable box broke then I kept missing more and more eps so I stopped watching :(. I would love if you sent me the link please :).
Sleepninja wrote: lol It makes complete sense to me. I hate that so many shows nowadays get lazy and don't want to put that much effort into character growth for their younger characters. They just make the character leave or kill them off rather than show them progress and mature. They'll be there for a season or two and then vanish.

I know! It just leaves off without making much sense. When actors leave Degrassi they at least make it make sense (or at least did in the earlier seasons) and make it work with the story. Example, one of the actors wound up leaving later on in the show to continue on with school and they make his character leave in a way that made you remember him even after he's gone.

WontonDumpling wrote: I'm on vacation so I'm barely active on threads these days, but I finally found some Wifi at this cafe & see this Degrassi thing!
Fun tidbit: the show is filmed in my city so it's pretty easy to casually bump into these ppl XD

I for one, met Jamie Johnston (Peter) when he performed this play at my school a few years ago (he attended a performing arts skl). SUPER friendly. He stayed behind after the show to talk to fans and even gave hugs haha he was such a cutie.
I've also casually seen Adamo Ruggiero (Marco) at the mall shopping...he's a shy type, but greets you happily if you go up and say hi.

& Aubrey/Drake (Jimmy) was spotted countless times also at the mall eating at Moxie's. He's more popular than the rest so it's pretty hard to go up to him with all his bodyguards and what not.

ohgoodness this show is like my childhood haha XP
My absolute favourite characters were Ellie & Craig ^__^ I was just WAITINGGGG endlessly for them to somewhat get together, but only to get that semi-open ending with their love line in the LA special....sigh~

I'm not sure how it's like in other countries, but after season 9, it kind of lost it's steam...it's still loved pretty well here in Canada, but not to the enormous amount like the previous early days.

Haha I'm barely active these days, too
And that's awesome it's filmed in the city you live in and you've met some of them! :D

Marco was one of my favorites, that's cool you got to see him (:
I liked Ellie & Craig, too, from what I caught from them.

The older seasons are definitely better, I think. I started later on (around season 9 or 10) and then missed 11 and the beginning of 12 so I'm all clueless as to what's happening now. The older cast was better, but it's still good I think.

ali101234 wrote: I think I started watching around season 7. Yeah I used to watch on TeenNick Before my cable box broke then I kept missing more and more eps so I stopped watching :(. I would love if you sent me the link please :).

Aww that's suck it broke :( I stopped watching because I got caught up in Asian dramas haha. And I will send it to you (: