I've been watching a few American shows and have been pleasantly surprised to like a few new shows which lead me to thinking if anyone else liked shows that are out of the norm or not in their preferred genres or the trailers sucked at promoting how interesting the show is or it's based on a book u hate. so tell us about those shows that you did not expect to like (past or present) but you ended up loving.

i will start.
1. glee---it's a show where they randomly burst into song. I generally hate musicals and disney animated movies for this very reason but glee i love. it's about music yes but it's more about rooting for the underdog or showcasing that talent can be found in the people we would least expect to have any. good writing, acting and the songs are so awesome i download them.

2. revenge---it's a new abc show, i saw the promos and thought this show looks boring it will get cancelled soon. i happened to catch the 1st epi online and i like it. the quote at the beginning is kinda what hooked me it "before embarking on ur journey of revenge dig 2 graves"-Confucius. it starts off with a bang in the present day then back tracks to where the female lead starts her journey of revenge. it's not boring at all, the trailer doesn't do it justice.

i have more but i will post later
I don't have any of these in American TV, but I do have them abandoned...lol
Tower Prep - it was a live action show on Cartoon Network and it turned out to be surprisingly really good. Too bad it ended after it's first season. I'm gonna kill cartoon network...
House ~ I didn't start watching until Season 4 or 5 because I'm not into "procedural medical" shows like CSI et. al. But then I discovered how different House was and now I love it...Although admitedly, I've been so wrapped up in Kdrama/Jdrama I haven't really been watching any US tv lately.
Bones
Sanctuary
Primeval
Battlestar Galactica

I didn't like these shows for the same reason: sci-fi. However, I ended up watching repeats of the shows and got hooked.
The Mentalist : It's about a man who want to take revenge of the one that killed his wife and child, even though i don't favor the revenge thing, i loved this series so much.
Supernatural, at first I was there like weird concept and now I'm totally hooked I think that's it ^^'
The Vampire Diaries, I like it even though I'm a guy. Other than that hm, Spartacus: Blood and Sand. Thought it was going to be uninteresting plot and characters, but I quite liked that part aswell, not just the whole violent/action part.
That would be Gossip Girl, you see i always watch detective series like CSI (all the CSI's that are out there), NCIS, The Mentalist, Bones, Crossing Jordan, Cold Case,... So this one was something i never thought i would like yet i really fell for it.
SAME!
Cept I love Sci-fi...but I was really sceptical of Bones and Primeval and I ended up loving both.
I was worried I wasn't gonna like Bones because of the female-male investigation team, murders, new cases, sexual tension, new day, new case bull...blah blah same old. But it ended up being really refreshing and addictive.

christypop wrote: Bones
Sanctuary
Primeval
Battlestar Galactica

I didn't like these shows for the same reason: sci-fi. However, I ended up watching repeats of the shows and got hooked.
Same. I was worried I was gonna hate Vampire Diaries. I read the books when I was 12 so I was like...I know what to expect, I'm too olf for that now. Teenage angst, vampires, lovey dovey eyes, high school functions and love triangles.

I was surprised that I genuinely liked the lead and the progression of the story after my little sisters convinced me to give it a go.

Fell out of love for season 3 but late season 1 and all of season 2 were pretty kickass!

SuperShark wrote: The Vampire Diaries, I like it even though I'm a guy. Other than that hm, Spartacus: Blood and Sand. Thought it was going to be uninteresting plot and characters, but I quite liked that part aswell, not just the whole violent/action part.
doctor who - so bad until you watch more and realize its so good.. white collar - I knew it was suppose to be good but I didn't know it was THAT good. plus it has a bromance to end all bromances; epic stuff! sons of anarchy - who knew a show about an outlaw motorcycle club made such good tv?
WirePaladin wrote: doctor who - so bad until you watch more and realize its so good..

omg i loved doctor who instantaneously! for me sherlock wasn't something i thought i'd like but it's been surprisingly amazing! also adventure time on cartoon network- i didn't think i'd like it at all but now i'm obsessed :p
WirePaladin wrote: doctor who - so bad until you watch more and realize its so good..

omg i loved doctor who instantaneously! for me sherlock wasn't something i thought i'd like but it's been surprisingly amazing! also adventure time on cartoon network- i didn't think i'd like it at all but now i'm obsessed :p
SayItAintSoJoe wrote: Tower Prep - it was a live action show on Cartoon Network and it turned out to be surprisingly really good. Too bad it ended after it's first season. I'm gonna kill cartoon network...

I loved this show!! I was obsessed with it! You're like the only person I know that watched it as well! But cartoon network has killed all their live-action tv shows. Its because their audiences are kids that expect cartoons. That show should have been produced by a better network which would have had more appreciative viewers.

But as for me... American TV that I would have never expected to like...
New Girl - show is super funny. I was expecting some boring slapstick comedy, but the show is genuinely hilarious!
Royal Pains - Though I wanted to be a doctor at the time I watched this series, I was never really into the medical tv shows, but this show was more than just about medicine and doctors.
Hart of Dixie - I had watched many tv shows with similar concepts and I thought to myself, how is this show going to be any different? I watched it and its a sweet little country based tv show with truly hot males, good acting, and an overused concept used in a new way. I liked it.
One Tree Hill - I had heard this show got a little dramatic at times, and I don't tend to like dramas that are too overdramatic. But the first season had me hooked. I watched seasons 1-6 last summer in like a month, I think I got like 2-4 hours of sleep every night that month. But I stopped after season 6 because my favorite couple left. I still watch clips of my favorite parts in the series because I loved it so much.